Monday, July 11, 2011

1 + 1 = _______


Love has many adverbs (from Unozip)

"If I ain't got nothing I got you
If I ain't got something I don't give a ____ cause I got it with you
I don't know much about algebra, but 1 plus 1 equals 2
And its me and you...that's all well have when the world is through
Cause baby we ain't got nothing without love
Darling you got enough for the both of us.
So c'mon baby, make love to me"
- 1+1 sang by Beyonce'

Ok, where to begin.  1st it seems like a great love song, I mean nothing says "I love you" like "you are the only possession that matters to me."  Almost taken straight from the pages of the marriage vows, at least from the spirit of it. Then it seems to borrow from the old soulful love songs with some "I don't know much about..." love analogy that you may be familiar with.

Ex: "I don't know much about history....but I know that I love you, and I know if you love me to WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD IT WOULD BE!"

The chorus repeats "make love to me, ohh baby make love to me!"  Which is what I want to focus on.  This is actually more of a Marvin Gaye song, than a ballad of love.  That's wonderful for those married, not so much for those who aren't.  Countless example in your own surroundings tell you that healing is not a most common byproduct of sex, largely because everyone is having it and they seem to complain a lot.  There is even the idea that when someone is frustrated, they just need some good sex and that will make them feel better.  As with most physical pleasure, that sort or thinking is like putting a band-aid on gunshot wound or only taking aspirin when your appendix ruptures.

Also consider the whole idea that "making love" is an upgraded version of sex where the same motions are bolstered by a mental and emotional affinity that transcends simple physical pleasure. That is a topic all in itself, just know that love occurs outside of physical intimacy.  In actuality, physical intimacy is strengthened by the bonds of love, but sex is not love.

You MAKE LOVE when you DO the selfless sacrificial things that encourage, nurture, build up, help, or simply brings happiness to the other person.  At the same time, it also does only that which is to the best benefit of the other person, even if happiness is sacrificed in the process.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
GOD IS LOVE...
                                                GOD = LOVE...
                   Sex is not God....                           sex is not love...
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Love is an action, a verb.  All types of love do not involve sex, just as all types of sex do not involve love.  I suppose this song represents the intimacy of love, but many will listen and perpetuate the flawed thoughts I just discussed. 

The melody is hypnotically good, and the desperation she conveys when its sung will drive many to a reckless reminiscence of past relationships ("loves") lost, or even lock them further into current unwise relationships.  Sadly there thoughts stuck in fantasy worlds that don't involve God, or even a spouse.  Many will be to mesmerized by her talent to notice these pulls.
Sure you could be thinking about a spouse while listening, I wouldn't frown on married people jamming the track, in each others arms sharing unending devotion to each other regardless of outside circumstance.  I just feel that would be a small statistic.

OVERALL
This track isn't trash, but it is RECYCLABLE.
I would not recommend you let children under 16 listen to it.
I would say this song is only for those married.
I recommend you read "THE 4 LOVES" by C. S. Lewis.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, in every regard to God's standard for HIS people (whom HE purchased with a very high price).. Subject to HIS righteous rule- not that established by lost sheep in positions of influence, who by their own enslavement to death (sin) preach/purposely spread the perversion that is "pleasure prosperity".
    "When someone is frustrated they just need some good sex to make them feel better" -NuLife
    Great break down.

    ReplyDelete